Travel to Europe after Brexit

Travel to Europe after Brexit

The United Kingdom has now left the EU.  There are now some minor changes to travelling to Europe and you should check your passport validity and that you have travel insurance in place.

Q.  Do I need to renew my passport?

If you’re travelling to the EU from 1st January 2021, you may need to renew your passport earlier, as it will need to be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left) and it will need to have at least 6 months of validity left validity. If your passport is burgundy or has ‘European Union’ on the cover, you can continue to use it until it expires.

Q.   Do I need a VISA to travel into the EU?

If you’re a tourist, you will NOT require a visa for short trips to EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Brussels has said that British visitors will be visa-exempt 'third-country nationals' initially, which means that there’s no need for an application in advance. But within a couple of years, British citizens will be subject to the new European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS), which the EU is working to impose no later than 2022.

At border control in the EU, you may need to show a return or onward ticket, prove you have enough money for your stay and use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens.

Q.  Do I need different Travel Insurance?

It is a condition of booking with Snowscape that you and all members of your party have Winter Sports Travel Insurance in place that meets your requirements. If you have an annual policy, make sure you check the Terms and Conditions and contact your insurance provider if you’re not sure.

From 1st January 2021, UK holders of a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will continue to receive free access to state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. The EHIC is due to be replaced by the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) with details to follow from the Government.

Q.  Will there be changes to Mobile roaming charges?

Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same in the UK. These EU rules will no longer apply following the departure from the EU. However, some UK companies have said they may continue to offer this benefit to their customers. Before travel, holidaymakers should check with their mobile phone provider about the costs of using their phone in the EU.

A new law means that you’re protected from getting mobile data charges above £45 without you knowing. Once you reach £45, you need to opt in to spend more so that you can continue using the internet while you’re abroad. Your phone operator will tell how you can do this.

Q.  Is my Driving License still valid?

A UK card driving license will continue to be classed as a Europe-wide permit and you do not need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

Full details :